Limited-Run Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers

The newspaper descriptions below were sourced from:
Suzanne Ellison's Historical Directory of Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers.



Bay News (47 Issues)

Place of publication:
Bay Roberts

Dates of publication:
Aug. 16, 1958 - July 25, 1959

Editor and publisher:
Patrick H. Pickett

Not published Dec. 27, 1958 or July 3, 1959

Under the slogan "A weekly newspaper for Conception and Trinity Bays", the Bay News printed mostly local news, advertisements, TV listings, social news and local sports. It was published in a mimeographed format.


Bell Island Examiner (81 Issues)

Place of publication:
St. John's

Began publication:
Dec. 22, 1955

Last issue located:
Nov. 26, 1957

Editor:
Eric A. Seymour

Notes:
Not published June 1, June 29, July 27, Aug. 3, and Oct. 26 of 1957 (Issues here ends Nov. 2, 1957)
April 7, 1956 is missing page 1 and 2
1957 starts on Jan. 12

The Bell Island Examiner contained local news, some provincial and national news, personal, social and club news, sports, ferry schedules, radio listings, and local history. The editorials concerned local issues such as high prices, local development, the need to patronize local merchants and the question of fluoridation.


Bell Island Times

Began publication:
Feb. 8, 1954

Last issue located:
May 8, 1954

Issues on the DAI:
Feb. 8, 1954 - May 8, 1954 (14 issues)

The Bell Island Times featured local news, sports and history. It included a women's page and religious column, comics and odd bits of foreign news. The editorials were non-controversial, usually encouraging local improvement and development.


Burin Peninsula Post

Began publication:
Mar. 25, 1970

Last issue located:
Aug. 25, 1971

Issues on the DAI:
Mar. 25, 1970 - Aug. 25, 1971 (75 issues)

The Post published news of the South Coast region, provincial news, church news, fishery news, advertisements and other features. The editorials were noncontroversial and dealt with local issues. The Post was discontinued as a separate publication in June 1974 and was published for about a month thereafter as a special weekly section of the Daily News called the "South Coast edition, incorporating the Post."

Missing Page:
August 18, 1971


The Carbonear Herald and Outport Telephone

Began publication:
May 22, 1879

Last issue located:
Aug. 26, 1882

Issues on the DAI:
May 22, 1879 - Aug. 26, 1882 (125 issues)

Title varies:
Carbonear Herald and Outport Telephone, May 22, 1879 - Feb. 22, 1882 (120 issues)
Carbonear Herald and Railroad Journal, Mar. 17 - Aug. 26, 1882 (5 issues)

The Carbonear Herald carried domestic and foreign news, fishing and shipping news, legislative proceedings, religious news, advertisements, serial fiction and poetry. Although it said it would be "giving independent and generous support to the government", the editorials were mainly concerned with development of the colony and analysis of foreign affairs. The Herald was an enthusiastic supporter of the railway, roads, education, fire organizations, public improvements and home industry.


The Cartwright Courier

Began publication:
Aug. 15, 1968

Last issue located:
Jan. 15, 1970

Issues on the DAI:
Aug. 15, 1968 - May 4, 1969 (16 issues)

The Cartwright Courier was produced by volunteers and carried Labrador news, especially for the communities of Cartwright, Packs Harbour and Happy Valley. It had social and personal news, a women's page, advertisements, MUN extension news, articles on Labrador history and contributions from local poets. Editorials were confined to local interests.


The Conception-Bay Man

Began publication:
Sep. 3, 1856

Last issue located:
Feb. 16, 1859

Issues on the DAI:
Sept. 3, 1856 - Feb 16, 1859 (100 issues)

The Conception-Bay Man published foreign and domestic news, shipping news, poetry, literature and advertisements. The paper described its role as follows, "It matters not whether the government be in the hands of Whigs or Tories, Liberals or Conservatives, all are subject to venality and all require the constant supervision of an independent and uncompromising public press" (May 6, 1857). Liberal in outlook itself, the paper had little use for the "self styled Liberals" in the Little government whom it saw as complacent, free-spending, corrupt and ineffective. The editor took a dim view of their programs for free trade, direct steam communication and the telegraph, but was proud to be the first paper to record the completion of the Transatlantic Cable in 1858.


The Confederate

Dates of publication:
April 7 - July 16, 1948

Issues on the DAI:
Volume 1 No's 1-14 April 7 - July 16, 1948 (14 issues)

As its title implies, the Confederate devoted itself strictly to supporting Confederation with Canada immediately prior to the referendum on that matter. For the opposite viewpoint, see the Independent. The paper was registered by J. R. Smallwood under the name of F. Gordon Bradley. The editor, G. J. Power, became Smallwood's administrative assistant after Confederation.


Cove

Began Publication:
Feb. 20, 1974, last issue located Aug. 20, 1975

Issues on the DAI:
Feb. 20, 1974 - Aug. 20, 1975 (29 issues)

Publisher:
Arnold's Cove Development Committee, Feb. 20- Sept. 18, 1974.
Lions Club of Arnold's Cove, Oct, 25, 1974-Aug. 20, 1975.

Editors:
Lynn Guérin, Tom Osbourne.

The Cove was a mimeographed publication that included mainly social, personal and club news. It also offered poetry, reminiscences and stories by locals, letters to the editor, town council news, public notices and advertisements.


The Daily Globe

Began publication:
Dec. 16, 1924

Last issue located:
June 5, 1926

Issues on the DAI:
Dec. 16, 1924 - June 5, 1926 (298 issues)

The Daily Globe printed local and foreign news, sports and advertisements, and claimed to be the first paper in Newfoundland to publish in colour. Editorially, the Daily Globe was "opposed politically from the first page of this and every subsequent issue to the last, to the Monroe administration and supports cheerfully and wholeheartedly the Liberal Party in Newfoundland (Dec. 16, 1924)."


The Daily Tribune

Began publication:
Nov. 4, 1892

Last issue located:
Dec 30, 1893

Issues on the DAI:
Nov. 4, 1892 - Dec 30, 1893 (277 issues)

Title varies:
Daily Tribune Nov. 4, 1892 - Dec. 2, 1893; (272 issues)
Tribune Dec. 6-30, 1893. (5 issues)

The Tribune published domestic and foreign news, court proceedings, fishing and shipping news, serial fiction, advertisements and other features. While not outspokenly Catholic, it offered extensive coverage of Catholic news. The Tribune opposed Confederation and, although a supporter of Whiteway, was concerned about the cost of railway extension. Published during the period of rebuilding St. John's after the Great Fire, the editorials discussed this topic in detail.


Diocesan Review

Place of publication:
Corner Brook

Issues on the DAI:
June 1964 - December 1980 (185 issues)

The Diocesan Review was originally established as a temporary means to disseminate information concerning the Regional Social Life Conference held in Corner Brook in 1964. It continued publication after the conference ended and became the official organ of St. George's Diocese. Besides featuring items of interest to the different parishes and the Diocese as a whole, it promoted the social doctrines of the Catholic Church. It contained Newfoundland church history, news of the Vatican, Canadian and foreign church news, social and personal news and advertisements.


Echo

Dates of publication:
Feb. 21, 1967 - May 24, 1972.

Issues on the DAI:
Feb. 21, 1967 - May 24, 1972 (56 issues)

The Echo covered local news, sports, personal and social news of the southwest coast. It contained letters from readers, advertisements and public notices. The Echo was purchased by Robinson-Blackmore, who closed it down and began publication of the Gulf News in 1973.


The Enterprise

Dates of publication:
Oct. 21, 1896 - Nov. 3, 1897

Issues on the DAI:
Oct. 21, 1896 - Nov. 3, 1897 (103 issues)

The Enterprise was a heavily illustrated paper that offered many cartoons and engravings of Newfoundland scenes, as well as local and foreign news, serial fiction, music, and advertisements. The publication proportedly "was not entered upon through any political expediency, but purely as a business venture" (Oct. 21, 1896) by John Furneaux, who was also published the Evening Mercury during the same time period. The editorials were progressive, supporting fisheries, economic and tax reforms. The Enterprise discontinued publication after a year because of "not having received the support anticipated" (Nov. 3, 1897).


Fishermen's Advocate

Dates of publication:
Feb. 12, 1910 - May 22, 1980

Issues on the DAI:
1910, 1912, 1913 (5 issues)

The Fishermen's Advocate is a newspaper of the Fishermen's Protective Union.


Fisherman Worker's Tribune

Dates of publication:
Feb. 11, 1938 - Dec. 23, 1943

Frequency: Weekly

Publisher: Trade Printers and Publishers.

Editor:
O.L. Vardy, May 1939-?(16)
Michael Harrington, 1944-1946

Note - Missing:
1942 - June 12
1943 - Sept 3, Nov 26, Dec 17, Dec 31

The Fishermen-Workers Tribune replaced the Fishermen's Advocate as the official organ of the Fishermen's Protective Union of Newfoundland after the Advocate fell out of favor with F. P. U. president K. M. Brown in late 1937. The Tribunesupported a large number of political and social reforms, including a separate Department of Fisheries, a bonus on codfish, a Fair-Wages Board, reduced taxes, improved medical care and education in the outports, a reduction in the age limit for Old Age Pensions, and a change in the method of "dole distribution." (Dec. 18, 1942). It carried labour and fishing news as well as domestic and foreign news and advertisements.


Dates of publication:
Mar. 22 - July 15, 1948

Issues on the DAI:
Volume 1 No's 1-14 Mar. 22 - July 15, 1948 (14 issues)


Fogo Island Profile

Dates of publication:
Jun 17, 1969 - Dec 1971

Frequency: Monthly

Editor and Publisher: Rev. Ivan F. Jesperson.

Note:
Jumps from July 26 to Sept 27, 1969

The Fogo Island Profile carried local news, social, personal and fishing news, transportation information, articles on local history, and advertisements.


Labour Herald

Dates of publication:
Aug. 26, 1938. - Feb. 24, 1939.

Issues on the DAI:
Aug. 26, 1938. - Feb. 24, 1939. (28 Issues)

The Labour Herald was sponsored by the Affiliated and Chartered Unions of Newfoundland and concentrated on domestic and foreign union and labour news. It carried educational articles about unions and the philosophy of the trade union movement as well as editorials and advertisements. It was particularly concerned with the Bakers and Candy Workers strike that was taking place and set up a strike fund to aid the cause.


Labrador Informer

Dates of publication:
Apr. 20, 1963. - Sept. 7, 1963.

Issues on the DAI:
Apr. 20, 1963. - Sept. 7, 1963. (15 Issues)

Note: Missing:
1963 Apr 27, July 6-27, Aug 17

The Labrador Informer published regional and national news, sports, letters to the editor, public notices and advertisements. It carried articles in three languages, English, French, and Inuktitut.


Labrador News

Dates of publication:
Dec. 21, 1964. to April 1966.

Issues on the DAI:
Dec. 21, 1964. to February 1966. (15 Issues)

The Labrador News was first issued in mimeographed format and later printed. It contained regional and provincial news, sports, court cases, television listings, advertisements and lengthy, often bitter articles deploring the exploitation of Happy Valley by outsiders. Editorially the Labrador News was anti-Liberal and anti-Smallwood.


Labrador Press

Dates of publication:
May 1, 1972. - Nov, 1972.

Issues on the DAI:
May 01, 1972 - Nov, 1972 (7 issues)

Note: Not Published:
1928 Apr 28, May 5, June 23, July 7,14,21,28, Aug 4,11,18,25, Sep 1,8,15,22,29
1931 Dec 31

Published from editorial offices in St. John's, the Labrador Press printed local and provincial news, sports, government and other advertisements, articles on Labrador history, women's health, and the paranormal. It had a sophisticated format and was editorially noncontroversial.


Liberal Press

Dates of publication:
Apr. 14, 1928 - June 7, 1932..

Issues on the DAI:
Apr. 14, 1928 - Dec. 24, 1931 (191 issues)

Not Published:
1928: Apr 28, May 5, Jun 23, Jul 7,14,21,28, Aug 4,11,18,25, Sep 1,8,15,22,29
1931: Dec 31

The Liberal Press published domestic and foreign news, legislative proceedings, public notices, poetry and advertisements. The paper began publication just before the beginning of the second Squires administration and supported that government.

The Independent was committed entirely to supporting the Responsible Government side in the debate prior to the referendum on Confederation.


The Mercury And General Advertiser

Began publication:
Feb. 3, 1846

Last issue located:
Oct. 15, 1846

Issues on the DAI:
Feb 3, 1846 - Oct. 15, 1846 (28 issues)

The Mercury and General Advertiser published local, domestic and foreign news, poetry, "tales of an interesting and moral character", legislative proceedings, shipping and fishing news, letters, and advertisements. The editorials were politically neutral supporting temperance and the establishment of Carbonear as a free port.


Morning Advertiser and Shipping Gazette

Began publication:
Sep. 21, 1844

Last issue located:
Apr. 26, 1845

Issues on the DAI:
Sept. 21, 1844 - April 26, 1845 (109 issues)

The Morning Advertiser contained news and other items extracted from foreign journals, local news, legislative proceedings, shipping lists, public notices, poetry, fiction and advertisements. No editorial commentary was included in its pages.


Morning Despatch

Began publication:
July 13, 1892

Last issue located:
Aug. 22, 1892

Issues on the DAI:
July 13, 1892 - Aug. 22, 1892 (32 issues)

The Morning dispatch was published "from the office on M. Monroe's wharf" apparently on the same press used for the defunct Mosquito. Commencing a few days after the Great Fire of 1892, it at first consisted entirely of advertisements and information about the fire. Later issues included domestic and foreign news and editorials. It was officially registered under the title Phoenix, but, the published explained, "The Morning Despatch is not called so by choice, but perforce, as there is not suitable type enough in town to print any other name. It will not necessarily be printed in the morning, but when it can be and editions will be issued at all hours of the day "(July 13, 1892). During its short existence, the Morning Despatch took a pro-Confederation stance.


The Morning Herald

Earliest issue located:
Nov. 28, 1879 (no.8)

Last issue located:
Feb. 21, 1880

Issues on the DAI:
Nov. 28, 1879 - Feb. 21, 1880 (54 issues)

The Morning Herald contained foreign and domestic news, fiction, poetry, advertisements, public notices and thoughtful editorials. A typical example was an editorial of Nov. 28, 1879 which called for two lockups for prisoners awaiting trial, one on each end of the city, instead of only one. "Often we have seen hundreds of persons following one prisoner for nearly a mile, and he, probably, degraded through the mud or slob for half that distance."


NANL News

Dates of publication:
Jan. 1975 - Sept 1975

Place of publication:
Goose Bay

Issues on the DAI:
Jan 1975 - Sept 1975 (8 issues)

Publisher:
Native Association of Newfoundland and Labrador, Jan.-July 1975
Indian and Metis Association of Newfoundland-Labrador, Aug.-Sept. 1975

Editor:
Philip Jeddore

The stated purpose of NANL News was "to allow free expression of ideas and opinions by native and non-native peoples on any relevant topic" (Jan. 1975). Started with the aid of a government grant, it featured local and other news of interest to the native peoples of Labrador, native sports, letters, and advertisements. It contained articles in both English and Inuktitut.


The Newfoundland Commercial Journal

Dates of publication:
1855? - 1892?

Issues on the DAI:
June 22, 1881 - Dec. 8, 1885 (69 issues)

The Newfoundland Commercial Journal was a single sheet newspaper printed on both sides. It published shipping intelligence (i.e. ship arrivals and departures), tables of import and export statistics, fishery news, exchange rates, and advertisements. It is listed in the Canadian Newspaper Directory until 1892.


The Newfoundland Times (New York)

Dates of publication:
Sept. 6, 1941 - Dec. 20, 1941

Issues on the DAI:
Sept. 6, 1941 - Dec. 20, 1941 (8 issues)

A Newfoundland news digest for U. S. Newfoundlanders" this paper was a successor to the Newfoundland Weekly previously published in Boston.


The Newfoundland Vindicator

Began publication:
Jan. 2, 1841

Last issue located:
May 14, 1842

Issues on the DAI:
Jan. 2, 1841 - May 14, 1842 (69 issues)

The Newfoundland Vindicator contained local and foreign news with special attention to Irish news, proceedings of the superior courts and courts of session, abstracts of Legislative discussions, and advertisements. A great amount of space was devoted to the discussion of the violence which took place in the recent Conception Bay elections, an issue over which the Vindicator was at odds with the Patriot. The Vindicator at first had columns covering "Catholic Intelligence" and "Protestant Intelligence", but the Protestant column was soon dropped. The Vindicator opposed both the Times and the Public Ledger. Beck and John Kent, who often wrote for the paper, were fined for libeling the editor of the Ledger in June of 1841. A lengthy, bitter, but vague, article was published upon the retirement of Governor Prescott in May of the same year.


Newfoundland Weekly

Dates of publication:
Dec. 15, 1956. to Nov. 22, 1957.

Issues on the DAI:
Dec. 15, 1956. to Nov. 22, 1957. (47 Issues)

The Newfoundland Weekly claimed to be a nonpartisan newspaper, but had a mildly opposition tone, viewing the Smallwood administration with skepticism. Two individuals involved in the paper, Jim McGrath and Arthur Harnett, had been unsuccessful Progressive-Conservative candidates in the previous election(38). The Newfoundland Weekly contained the usual features of the typical weekly of the time but had no government advertising.


The Newfoundlander 1934

Began publication:
Oct. 6, 1934

Last issue located:
Dec. 20, 1934

Issues on the DAI:
Oct. 6, 1934 - Dec. 20, 1934 (10 issues)

The Newfoundlander was totally "dedicated to the restoration of self-Government" and devoted itself to attacking the Commission of Government and Prime Minister Alderdice. Not surprisingly, it received no government advertising and, by November, announced that the government was threatening to withhold government patronage from firms advertising in the journal. The paper apparently folded after three months.


The Newfoundlander 1944-1954

Began publication:
June 1944

Last issue located:
December 1954

Editor:
Michael F. Harrington, 1943-1954.

Note:
Newfoundlander not published 1949 Jul, Aug
Newfoundlander not published 1950 Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec

Originally published under the title, the Barrelman, the Newfoundlander was distributed free of charge for many years and claimed to reach "every home in Newfoundland's 1300 towns and villages" for a total circulation of over 40,000. It concentrated on Newfoundland culture and history as well as offering practical advice on domestic science and agriculture. It contained some provincial news and, politically neutral for the most part, supported Responsible Government in 1948.


Our Country

Dates of publication:
Aug. 25, 1883 - May 14, 1885

Issues on the DAI:
Aug. 25, 1883 - May 14, 1885 (152 Issues)

Our Country contained local and foreign news, proceedings of the legislative assembly, advertisements, serial fiction and other features. Intended to take the place of the Public Ledger, it was an exponent of the Reform Party and opposed the Whiteway administration, particularly in reference to the matter of the railway. It suspended publication from May 1884 to April 1885. It resumed publication for a short time, during which it was entirely devoted to the official report of the Legislative proceedings.


The Plaindealer

Dates of publication:
1907 - June 1922

Issues on the DAI:
June 1907 - Aug. 16, 1921 (29 Issues)

The Plaindealer was a Catholic publication that published foreign news with a concentration on Irish affairs, pastoral letters, humor, short stories and editorials. W. F. Coaker, founder of the Fishermen's Protective Union, published articles in the Plaindealer in 1908 prior to founding the union's own newspaper, the Fishermen's Advocate. The Plaindealer became a rival of that paper and opposed Coaker and the Lloyd government. The paper opposed Edward Morris and later supported Bond, Cashin and Crosbie.


Post

Dates of publication:
Mar. 25, 1970. to May 29, 1974.

Issues on the DAI:
Sep. 9, 1971. to May 29, 1974. (141 Issues)

Note:
Final issue of the POST is May 29, 1974.
From there after it is incorporated in with the "DAILY NEWS" as a special weekly section.

The Post published news of the South Coast region, provincial news, church news, fishery news, advertisements and other features. The editorials were noncontroversial and dealt with local issues. The Post was discontinued as a separate publication in June 1974 and was published for about a month thereafter as a special weekly section of the Daily Newscalled the "South Coast edition, incorporating the Post."


The Record

Earliest issue located:
Jan. 18, 1862 (V. 2, No. 14)

Last issue located:
Dec. 29, 1863

Issues on the DAI:
Jan. 18, 1862 - Dec. 29, 1863 (94 Issues)

The Record published local news, "Catholic Intelligence", foreign news, legislative proceedings, serial fiction, advertisements and government notices. It opposed the Hoyles-Bannerman government and was ultra-Liberal and Catholic to such an extent it was referred to as "Dr. (i.e. Bishop) Mullock's organ" in the Newfoundland Express (May 23, 1861). On that occasion, the Record had made light of Catholic riots and looting which took in Harbour Main, treating them as harmless fun.


The Register

Earliest issue located:
Sept. 17, 1880 (V.1, No. 2)

Last issue located:
Dec. 16, 1880

Issues on the DAI:
Sept. 17, 1880 - Dec. 16, 1880 (70 Issues)

The Register published foreign and domestic news, government notices, advertisements and other features. Although it claimed to be "an independent journal written by independent men for an independent public", it supported the Liberal Party and contained a high concentration of Catholic and Irish news. Owned by a company of twelve unnamed stockholders, it denied being an organ of the government.


The Reporter

Earliest issue located:
Jan. 31, 1856

Last issue located Dec. 25, 1856.

Issues on the DAI:
Jan. 31, 1856 - Dec. 25, 1856 (47 Issues)

Printed at the offices of the Patriot, the Reporter was originally intended to serve as a vehicle for the publication of legislative proceedings but also published editorials, foreign and domestic news, poetry, advertisements and other features. Liberal in viewpoint, it disliked the Tories, but more frequently beleaguered the Liberal Party, which it felt to be controlled by family compacts and family monopolies, singling out Philip Little in particular. The Reporter was especially bitter about being forced to share the publication of the legislative proceedings with the likes of the Public Ledger and the Express.


Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser

Dates of publication:
Oct. 27, 1836 - Oct. 30, 1845

Issues on the DAI:
Oct. 27, 1836 - Oct. 30, 1845 (186 Issues)

Title varies:
Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser, Oct 27, 1836 - Jul 20, 1837 and Dec 13, 1838 - Nov 19, 1844 (148 issues)
The Carbonear Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser, July 27, 1837 - Nov. 29, 1838 (26 issues)
The Sentinel, Mar. 13, 1845 - Oct. 30, 1845 (12 Issues)

The Sentinel published domestic and foreign news, shipping news, legislative proceedings, poetry, serial fiction and letters to the editor. The prospectus promised the paper would promote the interests of the mercantile community and maintain a commercial point of view, but the Sentinel was politically independent in most matters and moderately Liberal in outlook. It supported the temperance movement and published news of all religious denominations. In 1840, the paper caused a minor stir by endorsing James Douglas over Lawrence O'Brien in a controversial St. John's election. Spry closed the Sentinel down in October 1845 and started the Mercury and General Advertiser three months later.


Southern Shore Courier

Place of Publication: Goulds.

Dates of Publication: May 19, 1960-June 10, 1960.

Frequency: Weekly.

Printer and publisher: John P. Harvey & Son.

Editor: Editor: Herbert Cranford..

The Southern Shore Courier was intended to "to serve primarily a rural section of Newfoundland, the Southern Shore, which, it is understood, has not been undertaken hithertofore" (May 19, 1960). Published on newsprint in a tabloid format, it carried original regional news stories, personal and club news, songs, poetry, sports, stories, a "sportsman's corner", a women's column and advertisements.

According to a note in the microfilm copy of this paper: "Only 3 issues of this newspaper ever appeared. The publisher, John P. Harvey & Son, paid the editor, Herbert Cranford, to prepare the copy for each issue, which would then be printed and distributed along the Southern Shore. For each issue Mr. Cranford received $50.00."


Southern Shore and St. Mary's Bay Weekly

Dates of publication:
Sept. 14, 1968. to Oct. 26, 1968.

Issues on the DAI:
Oct. 05, 1968. to Sep. 09, 1968. (5 Issues)

Note:
Missing : 1968 Aug 31, Sep 7,21,28
Changes title Southern Shore and St. Mary's Bay Weekly on October 5, 1968 (2nd Issue)

The Southern Shore Weekly published community and personal news, a lot of church and religious news , television listings, recipes, and selected provincial news, usually involving crime and accidental deaths. The unknown editor expressed the frustrations of producing a paper of this sort: "The Southern Shore Weekly would like to thank the person who sent us the letter from fur her up the shore advising us not to publish the paper again as it is an insult to the Southern Shore. We would gladly return the price of the paper to them if they were kind enough to send us there name. or maybe that person would like the job of printing the paper , or becoming a news correspondence in their community or better still the job of proof reading." (Sept. 14, 1968)


Speaker

Began Publication:
Nov. 15, 1952, last issue located Feb. 14, 1958

Issues on the DAI:
Nov. 15, 1952 - Nov. 20, 1954 (71 issues)

Title Varies:
People's Speaker, Nov. 15, 1952.
Speaker, Nov. 22, 1952-Nov. 20, 1954.
Avalon Guardian, Feb. 8-14, 1958.

Publisher:
Speaker Publishers, 1952-1954, Avalon Guardian Publishing Co., Feb. 8-14, 1958.

Editors:
Edgar A. Russell

Calling itself "Conception Bay's only newspaper", the Avalon Guardian was remarkably political for a small, mimeographed journal. Besides the usual local news and sports, social and church news and advertisements, the editorials were outspoken on local, provincial and even national issues. The editor stressed the need for centralized management of fish plants and supported the certification of the town's union, which was opposed by town council. He often attacked Smallwood's policies and statements and supported the CCF.


The Star and Conception Bay Weekly Reporter

Earliest issue located:
Feb. 4, 1874 (V. 2, No. 2)

Last issue located:
May 6, 1875

Issues on the DAI:
Feb. 4, 1874 - May 6, 1875 (39 Issues)

The Star and Conception Bay Weekly Reporter seems to be the successor to the Star and Conception Bay Semi-weekly Advertiser although A. A. Parsons was no longer involved in it. It had the same content as the earlier publication and was somewhat more outspoken politically, opposing the Carter administration and the railway.


The Star and Newfoundland Advocate

Earliest issue located:
Nov. 14, 1840 (V. 1, No. 2)

Last issue located:
Jan. 14, 1847

Issues on the DAI:
Nov. 14, 1840 - Jan. 14, 1847 (295 Issues)

The Star and Newfoundland Advocate printed foreign and local news, legislative proceedings, agricultural, fishing and shipping news, poetry, fiction and advertisements. The paper was Conservative and Protestant editorially and supported the mercantile class. Burton was previously involved in the Star and Conception Bay Journal and was later to become more political as proprietor of the Telegraph and Political Review.


Suburban Mirror

Earliest issue located:
Nov. 2, 1977, last issue located June 1, 1978

Issues on the DAI:
Nov. 2, 1977 - Jun. 1, 1978 (30 issues)

Frequency: Weekly.
Publisher: Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd.
Editor-in-chief: Fred Whiteway.
Managing editor: Ron Pumphrey.

The Suburban Mirror published news from communities on the Avalon Peninsula focusing on those outside of St. John's. It also contained entertainment, social commentary, business news, sports, television listings and advertisements.


St. John's Free Press and Semiweekly Advertiser

Began publication:
Apr. 9, 1877

Last issue located:
July 22, 1878

Issues on the DAI:
Apr. 9, 1877 - July 22, 1878 (83 Issues)

Title Varies:
The St. John's Free Press And Daily Advertiser, Apr. 9, 1877 - May 29, 1877 (37 Issues)
The St. John's Free Press And Semi-Weekly Advertiser, Jun. 11, 1877 - Jul. 22, 1878 (46 Issues)

The St. John's Free Press contained domestic and foreign news, shipping news, court proceedings, public notices, poetry and advertisements. The editorials encouraged the development of the colony's natural resources, supported the railway, and opposed Confederation.


Springdale News

Dates of publication:
Apr. 1, 1965 to May 28, 1970

Printer, Publisher, Editors:
Printer: Blackmore Printing Co.
Publisher: Roger C. Simmons
Editors:
Eileen Williamson, Apr. 4, 1968-Mar. 27, 1969.
Florence Tode, Jan. 15-May 28, 1970.

Issues on the DAI:
Apr. 1, 1965 - May 28, 1970 (128 Issues)

The Springdale News was a community newspaper for the northwestern region of the province. It suspended publication in 1970 and was replaced by the Green Bay News (later called the Nor'wester) in December 1971.


Stephenville News

Began publication:
Apr. 29, 1957.

Publisher and chief editor:
Printer: Robinson & Co.
Publisher: Temple Butler
Editors:
Eileen Williamson, Apr. 4, 1968-Mar. 27, 1969.
Florence Tode, Jan. 15-May 28, 1970.

Issues on the DAI:
Apr. 29, 1957 - June 21, 1958 (39 Issues)

The Stephenville News published local, provincial, national and foreign news, comics, advertisements and editorials limited to supporting regional and local development.


The Vindicator and Brigus Reporter

Earliest issue located:
May 4, 1898 (V. 1, No. 2)

Ceased publication:
Oct. 28, 1903

Issues on the DAI:
May 4, 1898 - Oct. 28, 1903 (14 Issues)

The Vindicator and Brigus Reporter was founded by Jabez Thompson, who also started the Twillingate Sun, when he was appointed to the magistracy and appointed to Brigus. It published local and foreign news, public notices, advertisements, poetry, serial fiction, humor, court reports, public notices and advertisements. While not extremely political, it supported the Liberal Party and Bond. In October 1903, the printing plant was sold to H. M. Mosdell, who intended to start the Newfoundland Outlook the following month.


Wabana Star

Earliest issue located:
Sept. 1961, last issue located Jun. 06, 1963

Issues on the DAI:
Sep. 1961 - Jun. 06, 1963 (44 issues)

Publisher: Wabana Enterprises.
Editor: Ralph Ryan.

The Wabana Star was founded by Ralph Ryan, who had formerly worked for Ron Pumphrey on the Bell Island Reporter and Conception Bay Times. Containing local news, advertisements and editorials, it was a typical small mimeographed newsletter with the usual crooked margins, frequent misspellings and headlines and advertisements laboriously handwritten or traced with stencils. Despite appearances, the editor pledged to maintain a high level of journalism. "We have no intention of allowing ourselves to be subjected to mud slinging or character assassination. Least of all, will we resort to the use of stupid cartoons, and poetic ignorance as a means of increasing our circulation." (Sept. 1961).


The Weekly Express

Began publication:
Jan. 6, 1858

Last issue located:
Dec. 27, 1859

Issues on the DAI:
Jan. 6, 1858 - Dec. 27, 1859 (102 Issues)

The Weekly Express had the same content and editorial policy and the Newfoundland Express


The Weekly News

Began publication:
Mar. 29, 1894

Ceased publication:
June 1906

Issues on the DAI:
Mar. 29, 1894 - Dec. 6, 1894 (36 Issues)

The Weekly News was a weekly edition of the Daily News intended for readers outside St. John's. "Much that occurs in the city is of no interest in the Outports, and few men have either the time or inclination to wade through the columns of six, or may be twelve dailies at one sitting. What they require is the news in a digested and spicy form." (Feb. 15, 1894). The paper opposed Whiteway in the 1894 election.

The Weekly News was published until June 1903 when J. A. Robinson purchased the Daily News. Since Robinson was already publishing another weekly, the Free Press, he discontinued the Weekly News.


Weekly Record

Earliest issue located:
Sept. 1, 1886, last issue located Aug. 3, 1899

Issues on the DAI:
Sep. 01, 1886 - Dec. 23, 1889 (134 issues)

Title varies: Weekly Record and Trinity Bay Advertiser, Aug. 3, 1899.
Editor and proprietor: D. C. Webber, Sept. 1, 1886-Aug. 18, 1893.
Manager: John A. Barrett, 1896-1899.

The Weekly Record published agricultural information, foreign and domestic news, local news, fishing and shipping news, "curious facts", legislative proceedings, public notices and advertisements. It opposed the Thorburn administration in 1886, supported Confederation in 1888, and supported the Whiteway government. The Weekly Record was suspended for several months following the accidental drowning of its editor in August 1893.(60)


This is only a small selection of newspapers from the Centre for Newfoundland Studies; many more remain to be digitized. For more information, inquire at cnsqeii@mun.ca

All newspaper descriptions come from Suzanne Ellison's Historical Directory of Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers

If you have a Newfoundland / Labrador question please contact the Centre for Newfoundland Studies