Lieutenant Buchan's expedition to the Exploits River, January 1811

The documents in this collection are held by the Newfoundland & Labrador Public Libraries, specifically the Newfoundland & Labrador Collection located on the third floor of the library in the Arts & Culture. The NL Collection began as a section of the Reference Collection of the Gosling Memorial Library when the Library first opened its doors in January 1936 on the upper floors of the former Newfoundland Museum building on Duckworth Street. The Collection is comprised of books, periodicals, newspapers, government documents, maps, photographs, post cards, pamphlets and manuscripts - all related to Newfoundland & Labrador. Many of the books in the Collection date to the 18th and 19th centuries; newspapers date back to 1810; the majority of the maps date from before 1900 with the earliest being 1630; and the Collection also has pre 1800 census returns from several areas of Newfoundland. Today the NL Collection is the primary research collection of the Newfoundland & Labrador Public Libraries.